Metrolink wishes you the greatest happiness and prosperity this Lunar New Year! January 25, 2020 ushers in the Spring Festival and a year of the Rat. In honor of this holiday, families will adorn their homes and places of work with red lanterns and decorations and families will sit down to a reunion dinner on the holiday’s eve.
Some interesting facts about the Year of the Rat:
- Year of the Rat: 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008, 2020
- In Chinese culture, rats were seen as a sign of wealth and surplus
- The Rat represents the beginning of a new day
- People born in the Year of the Rat are said to be optimistic, sensitive, stubborn, kind, energetic and likable by all
While Metrolink can’t get you to Asia for celebrations, our transit services can bring more luck to your new year by helping you avoiding freeway congestion on your way to relatives’ homes and festivities. We can also help you get to the 121st Golden Dragon Parade in Los Angeles the following weekend.
Each year, the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles coordinates the largest parade of the city. Thousands of people line the parade route and watch the parade on TV each year. This event makes North Broadway in Chinatown the premiere cultural event in the Southern California Asian-American community. Steeped in local and global tradition, the Golden Dragon Parade hosts almost two-dozen floats multiple marching bands, government officials and dignitaries, entertainers, local business leaders and cultural groups.
This year, the Golden Dragon Parade will be held on Saturday, February 1. Street closures will begin at 10:00 a.m. The Parade will take place 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Streets will reopen at 5:00 p.m. North Broadway, where the parade will be held is located at 943-951 North Broadway, Los Angeles. Here is how to get to Chinatown via Metrolink:
- Take Metrolink to L.A. Union Station
- Head East toward Union Station
- Transfer to Metro Gold Line toward APU/Citrus College Station for free with your Metrolink ticket
- Exit Chinatown Station – Northwest Entrance
- Head west on W College St toward N New High St
- Turn left onto N Broadway
- Arrive in Chinatown
Take advantage of Metrolink’s Weekend Day Pass for only $10! Please visit our website to learn more. For details about the Golden Dragon Parade and its rich history, please visit their website.