Help improve rail safety as a motorist and as a pedestrian!
Rail safety is extremely important for anyone who comes into contact with railroads.
We want to remind you that you can improve rail safety in many ways as both a motorist and a pedestrian.
AS A MOTORIST
- Be prepared to stop at the crossing
- Slow down, look both ways and listen
- Understand the signs and warning devices
- Check that you have enough room on the other side of the tracks for your vehicle to cross safely
- Never race a train
- Never stop on tracks
AS A PEDESTRIAN
- Stay alert – it is easy to get distracted, especially by phones, music and conversation
- Stop, look both ways and listen
- Follow all signs and instructions
- Cross tracks only at designated pedestrian or at grade crossings
- Cross quickly and never stop on the tracks
- Never cross the tracks when the signal indicates that a train is coming. Flashing lights and ringing bells mean STOP and wait for the train to pass. NEVER walk under or around pedestrian gates.