The Festival of Whales celebrates the return of the migratory gray whale to our coastal waters. Spring brings many other types of marine life to our waters, making it the perfect time to see nature’s splendor on the sea.
Celebrated for almost 5 decades, the Dana Point Festival of Whales is a cornerstone community event that is beloved by visitors and locals alike. Taking place over the first two weekends in March, they have a wide variety of free events that are fun for the whole family.
Offerings at the Dana Point Festival of Whales include:
- Whale Watching
- Art Shows, Sales and Lessons
- Recreational Races
- Classic Car and Boat Displays
- Diamond Digging
- Beach Cleanup
- Dolphin Safari
- Clam Chowder Cook-Off
- Breakfast at the Beach
- Whale of a Concert
- Sand Sculpting
- Sailing Rides
- Stand-Up Paddling Clinic
- Street Fair
Learn More at Dana Point Festival of Whales’ website.
- Take the Metrolink OC Line trains 660, 661, 666 or 667 or IEOC Line trains 857 or 860 to Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo Station.
- Board the bus bridge located at Mission Viejo Station.
- Head east on Verdugo St. towards Camino Capistrano.
- Turn left on Camino Capistrano.
- Transfer to OCTA Route 91 bus toward San Clemente Metrolink Station.
- Exit at Pacific Coast – Dana Point Harbor.
- Walk southeast toward Park Lantern.
- Arrive at Dana Point Harbor Dr.
*Note: Due to scheduled track work on both weekends, Metrolink service will operate as scheduled on Orange County Line trains only between L. A. Union Station and Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo and on Inland Empire-Orange County Line trains only between San Bernardino – Downtown and Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo. Metrolink will provide alternate bus service for only OC Line trains 660, 661, 666 and 667 and IEOC Line trains 857 and 860. Riders can anticipate delays of up to 60 minutes as buses stop at connecting stations along the corridor. OC trains 662, 663, 664 and 665 and IEOC trains 859 and 858 will only travel as far as Laguna Niguel/Mission Viejo station, and no bus service will be provided for these trains.