In celebration of California’s rich maritime history, the Ocean Institute hosts its annual fleet of historic tall ships at the Tall Ships Festival that sail into Dana Point Harbor this weekend, Sept. 7 to 9!
Watch history comes alive as crews from each ship engage the public in cannon battles, pirate adventures, mermaid encounters, ship tours and much more.
There are a bunch of exciting events taking place throughout the weekend including:
- Sails ‘n Ales (6:00 pm -9:00 pm): Craft beer tasting from six (6) different California breweries, live music, mermaids and prime viewing for Parade of Sail!
- Parade of Sail (4:00 pm-7:30 pm): Set sail on any one of the historic tall ships and watch the sun dip below the horizon as we kick off the 34th annual Festival. Experience the wind, sights and sounds while the ocean breeze fills the sails. Bring your camera to capture the unforgettable views and the firing cannon as you sail along the coast.
Saturday & Sunday:
- Mermaid Breakfast (9:00 am-10:30 am): Our special mermaid friends deliver a one-of-a-kind breakfast experience. Meet our mermaid friends, make a fun mermaid craft, enjoy pancakes, and watch our mermaids swim underwater! Family fun for all mermaids at heart. Be sure to book your ticket in advance as this event sells out every year.
- Festival (10:00 am-4:00 pm): Tall Ships tours, pirate adventures, mermaid encounters, unique vendors, Sierra Nevada Beer Garden, and more await for you at the 34th Annual Festival. For a full list of activities, please click here.
- Cannon Battles (4:30 pm-7:30 pm): Come aboard the Spirit of Dana Point and the armada of ships as they set sail to engage in the Festival’s most exciting and captivating experience. Join the crew as they harness the power of the wind to maneuver and position themselves to gain the advantage.
Grab your $10 Weekend Day Pass to the San Juan Capistrano Station on the Orange County or Inland Empire-Orange County lines and hop on the FREE shuttle to the Tall Ships Festival, provided by the Ocean Institute on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Find tickets to the festival here!