You Can Improve Rail Safety!
Rail safety is extremely important for anyone who comes into contact with railroads.
We want to remind you that you can improve rail safety in many ways as both a motorist and a pedestrian.
AS A MOTORIST
- Be prepared to stop at the crossing
- Slow down, look both ways and listen
- Understand the signs and warning devices
- Check that you have enough room on the other side of the tracks for your vehicle to cross safely
- Never race a train
- Never stop on tracks
AS A PEDESTRIAN
- Stay alert – it is easy to get distracted, especially by phones, music and conversation
- Stop, look both ways and listen
- Follow all signs and instructions
- Cross tracks only at designated pedestrian or at grade crossings
- Cross quickly and never stop on the tracks
- Never cross the tracks when the signal indicates that a train is coming. Flashing lights and ringing bells mean STOP and wait for the train to pass. NEVER walk under or around pedestrian gates.