Celebrate International Museum Day with Metrolink!
Museums are a great way to spend a day learning about history and culture. Luckily, Southern California is home to great museums with exhibits ranging from ancient artifacts to modern art to local history. Even better, some Metrolink stations are within walking distance of these institutions.
In honor of International Museum Day, we wanted to let you know how you can get to these museums today or any day!
Los Angeles County
Los Angeles is home to some of the best museums in the world – using your Metrolink ticket, you can transfer for free to Metro Rail from L.A. Union Station.
- Union Station:
- LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes – Dedicated to Mexican-American culture in Southern California.
- Chinese American Museum – Dedicated to the Chinese American experience and history in this region.
- Italian American Museum of Los Angeles – Exhibits on the contributions of Italian Americans to L.A.
- Museum of Social Justice – By showcasing the history of social movements from the perspective of marginalized groups, the Museum inspires visitors to engage with social justice principles and advocate for change.
- Gold Line:
- Japanese American Nation Museum – Art, artifacts & historical exhibits exploring over 130 years of the Japanese-American experience.
- The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA – World-class contemporary art in a former police garage.
- Southwest Museum of the American Indian – World-renowned collection of Native American artifacts housed within a 1914 architectural landmark.
- Red/Purple Line:
- The Broad – Focusing on works of modern art.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art – An airy space showcasing masters in Pop Art & abstract expressionism.
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood – Life-size wax replicas of famous Americans & historic icons.
- The Hollywood Museum – Hollywood history, including props, costumes, scripts & photos.
- Expo Line:
- FIDM Museum & Galleries – Collects, preserves, and interprets fashion objects and support materials with outstanding design merit.
- Grammy Museum L.A. Live – Interactive exhibits & showbiz artifacts honor music greats past & present.
- California African American Museum – History, art, and culture of African Americans with an emphasis on California and the western United States.
- California Science Center – Hands-on interactive exhibits, space shuttle Endeavor and current home of King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharoah.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County – From T. rex skeletons to an insect zoo, this museum holds more than 35 million artifacts.
- Antelope Valley Line
- Museum of Art and History – Displays of post-war & contemporary art plus Native American artifacts from the local area. Located near the Lancaster Metrolink Station.
- Carnegie Art Museum – Museum devoted to 20th-century & contemporary California art. Located near the Oxnard Metrolink Station.
- Fullerton Train Museum – Railcar collection consisting of historically significant train cars that served Orange County in its early days. Open the first and third Saturday of each month at the Fullerton Metrolink Station.
- Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center – Explores and celebrates culture, heritage and arts through creative programming. Located near the Anaheim Metrolink Station.
- The Hilbert Museum of California Art at Chapman University – Celebrates art of California including oils, watercolors, sketches and lithographs of urban and industrial scenes, coastal views, farms, ranches and landscapes. Adjacent to the Orange Metrolink Station.
- Fullerton Museum – Educational space showcasing diverse exhibitions & programs in history, science, art & humanities. Located by the Fullerton Metrolink Station.
- Mission San Juan Capistrano – Landmark Spanish mission founded in 1775 with historic exhibits near the San Juan Capistrano Metrolink Station.
- Riverside Art Museum – Features art classes, workshops and lectures to instill a lifelong love of the arts. Located near the Riverside – Downtown Metrolink Station.
San Bernardino County
- San Bernardino History & Railroad Museum – Showcases artifacts dedicated to railroad and local history. Located inside the San Bernardino – Depot and will mark its 100th birthday this summer
San Diego County